If you have low self-esteem, or you suffer from Social Anxiety, joining your local Gym may not sem like a pleasant idea.
Still, you’re determined to get fit, or lose weight, etc. and the gym seems the best option.
You know that if you could just pluck up the courage, everything would be so much better! You worry that everyone’ll be watching you, or talking about you with their friends. Or. maybe you believe they’ll be taking photos of ‘the newbie’ and posting them on social media. You may even be worried that you’ll be surrounded by people with rippling muscles and ‘ripped’ bodies?
Whatever nasty and uncomfortable things you worry about, nothing could be further from the truth.
Here are 5 tips to help you move forward.
- Remember that the vast majority of people, joined the gym for the same sorts of reasons you want to. Most members are just ‘Ordinary’ people trying to achieve the same things you are. If there are any ‘body builders’ they’ll be using the Free Weights, not the machines.
- If you’re feeling anxious about using machines that you’ve never used before, go on YouTube and you’ll find loads of videos on how to use any of the available equipment. That way, you’ll look like a seasoned pro, rather than a noobie 🙂
- Any gym worth it’s salt will insist on an orientation before you begin using the machines. Meaning, one of the staff will explain to you how to use the machines correctly and safely, and will design a training plan specifically for what you want to achieve.
- Learn a relaxation tequnique. Practice inhaling deeply… hold for 3 seconds, then slowly breathe out expelling all the air from your lungs. Do this at least 5 times. You’ll be surprised how quickly your anxiety calms down.
- Use a distraction. A well known technique is to listen to music, or an audio book while you’re exercising.
One final tip: If you’re still uncomfortable joining, why not ask a friend to join with you? Knowing you’ve got at least one person on your side, will make the jump easier.
If you want to learn more about boosting your self-esteem, have a read of the related posts below.